Thursday, April 30, 2015

Smoothie for starting the day off right

I'm not a real disciplined eater so I've looked at ways of sneaking in as many good things as possible into my diet.  The right nutrients can help us function and look better.  Unfortunately we don't have an overwhelming consensus on exactly what to eat but a few trends seem to be emerging.

Adequate amounts of fiber, water and protein are important.  As is consuming foods that reduce general inflammation in the body.  With this in mind, I created a morning smoothie that fits the bill for me.

Green Tea (cold for liquid base)
Frozen spinach
Frozen berries
Banana -- 1 whole
Ground flax seed -- 1 tbsp
Chia seeds -- 1 tbsp
Greek yogurt -- 1/2 cup
Whey & hemp protein powder mix -- 1 scoop
Coconut oil -- 1 tbsp
Cinnamon -- 1 tsp
Ginger (ground) -- 1 tsp

I've added Turmeric as well but I'm not sure consuming it this way will absorb into the body in the intended way.  I've read that combining it with black pepper and possibly heating it is required to make it more bio-available.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment